The National Capital 20 Miler and Janet Braunstein 5 Miler courses are flat, straight, and fast. Both races follow out-and-back courses along the Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Canal Towpath, starting at Mile Marker 11 (the northwest end of the Carderock Recreation Area) and heading toward Georgetown.
- 20 Miler turnaround at Key Bridge (Mile Marker 1)
- 5 Miler turnaround between Lock 9 (mile 8.70) and Lock 8 (mile 8.33)
Note: These maps are intended only for general reference. They are not intended as official guides to each race course.
The race directors will be organizing runner aid stations at approximately 2.5-mile intervals: Lock 10, Lock 6, Fletcher’s Boathouse, and the Mile 10 turnaround at Key Bridge. The following support will be available:
- Start/Finish: water, Gatorade, food
- Stop #1/7 : water, Gatorade
- Stop #2/6: water, Gatorade
- Stop #3/5: water, Gatorade, electrolyte gel
- Stop #4/Mile 10 Turnaround: water, Gatorade
Runners are advised to exercise good caution and to carry additional nutrition support as necessary.